SOCKETEER is a frantic randomly generated top-down shooter where you play as a small robot that cannot shoot. Instead, the main character must hack into any electronic device and utilize it to survive. Take control of defense robots and blast other enemies away, crack into security door control panels and slam them shut on unsuspecting guards, circumvent data consoles and download map information to help navigate to the exit.
Originally conceived as a squad based rogue-like in a similar vein to the seminal board game Space Hulk, development started on a small laptop while Tom Goodchild was still communing to and from work at Codemasters in Birmingham. After realising that the 2d fixed camera top-down perspective doesn't make for great squad based control, Tom starting riffing on the idea of a randomly generated shooter where the main character could hack and take control of any enemy they encountered. Its been a long journey and, suffice to say, the game has morphed and changed quite a bit from that initial idea into the frenetic shooter we have today.
- FRANTIC stealth shooting where the player take control of any robot, crate or computer panel encountered.
- RANDOMLY generated levels keep the encounters fresh.
- Stylish and BEAUTIFUL modern 2D styling from illustrator Ruud Hendricks from heyheymomo.com.
- Deep secrets hidden within the game which the player unlocks through a complex CHAIN.
- INNOVATIVE Twitch TV integration where viewers can spend currency to have an influence on the game being played.
SOCKETEER (formerly named REMOTE Pre-release alpha trailer (2016) Youtube
LOGO & ICON
ABOUT ICE BEAM
Ice BEAM is a Scottish independent game studio with the intention of making fun wee video games on innumerable gaming platforms.
More information on Ice BEAM, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Development, design & business
Contract art and promotional materials